Anyone driving on Indian roadways is required by law to observe specified criteria. In this post, we’ll look at the RTO automobile registration process.
- Vehicle registration status is categorized as Temporary and Permanent
- You can register your vehicle both online and offline
- The status can be easily checked on the Vahan portal
When you buy a car from a dealership, it comes with a registration certificate from the RTO. You will, however, need to register the car in your name after you have acquired it. The following are the classifications for a vehicle’s registration status:
This new vehicle registration number was supplied to you by your local automobile or motorbike dealer and is only valid for a short period.
Your automobile gets permanently registered with the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways once you file an application at the local RTO. You may now register your vehicle in Parivahan using the new registration option.
At the RTO, apply for a Vehicle Registration Certificate
At the RTO, apply for a Vehicle Registration Certificate.
- Bring your new vehicle to an RTO office near you and fill out Form 20 (which will be accessible at the office).
- The RTO superintendent will inspect your application after you have submitted it along with all required documentation.
- In the meantime, pay the registration cost and any necessary taxes at the counter.
- Your car or motorcycle will be inspected by the Inspector of Motor Vehicles (IMV).
- Vehicle information is entered into a central database and then double-checked by the RTO Superintendent.
- The Assistant Regional Transport Officer approves vehicle registration (ARTO)
- The RTO office will issue you a smart card and mail it to the address you provided in your application.
Registering Your Vehicle Online
- Login to the Vahan portal – https://vahan.nic.in/nrservices/
- Select ‘New Vehicle Registration’.
- Fill all the necessary forms on the website.
- Upload the necessary documents.
- Once you’ve entered all of the right information, the website will process it and send you a vehicle registration certificate to your address.
Status of New Vehicle Registration
Simply go to the application status section of the Vahan site and input your application number. Then select ‘View Report’ to check the current status.
Renewing Your Vehicle Registration
- Select ‘vehicle-related services’ from the ‘Online Services’ drop-down menu on the main page of the VAHAN website.
- Enter your vehicle registration number and click the ‘Proceed’ button.
- Select ‘Registration Renewal’ and enter the last five digits of your vehicle’s ‘Chassis Number.’
- Now press the ‘Validate registration number’ button and enter your phone number.
- Enter the OTP sent to your mobile number.
- Check information such as the owner’s identity, tax deducted, and so on by clicking on ‘Show details.’
- To pay the renewal fee and amend your car status, go to ‘Payment.’
- Take a printout of the fee receipt and bring it to your nearest RTO with the required documentation to renew your vehicle registration.
Now that most of these processes have moved online, documentation registration and subsequent changes no longer require an entire day of running around at your local RTO. Just log in online for a hassle-free experience.