Airbags play a vital role in the safety of passengers but there were no such rules to add the airbags. But the Union ministry of road and Highway imposed a new rule. “All vehicles must have passenger and driver airbags is standard fitment”. The new rule will be applicable for the vehicles manufactured on and after 1 April, 2021.
“Ministry has issued Gazette notification regarding the mandatory provision of an airbag. for a passenger seated on the front seat of a vehicle. next to the driver. This has been mandated as an important safety feature. And is also based on suggestions of the Supreme Court Committee on Road Safety,” a notification issued by the Union Ministry Of Road and Highways.
Read this too:-2021 Mahindra XUV 500 – Launch Delay due to Chip Shortage.
Why airbags are so important?
- Airbags are very important from a safety perspective as per the studies the front airbags reduce fatalities by 29-32 percent. And using airbags and seatbelt reduces the risk of death by 61%.
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), an agency of the United States federal government, also find that 44,869 lives were saved because of the frontal airbags.
The ministry also state that all the existing vehicles which dose not fits into the new rule. To be sold before August 31, 2021.
Government also indicates that the other safety features also be made compulsory in upcoming years.
- Reason Why Dodge Viper Was Discontinued
- Five JDM Cars that have a Huge Fanbase
- How to Take Care of Your Car.